Monday 12 March 2012

A 'House For An Art Lover Shoot'. Designing the jewellery and accessories, part one.


Hallo everyone!

I was really delighted when Annabel, of Love My Dress, featured the House for An Art Lover shoot I was part of on her amazing blog. You can see the feature here.

I wanted devote a blog post to talking about how I designed all the jewellery and accessories for the shoot and to show you some of the gorgeous pictures that didn't make it onto Annabel's post. There were so many that I decided to dedicate one post to the 1930s part of the shoot, and another post to the 1950s part.

My starting point when designing any piece is the dress that it is to be worn with. My philosophy is to never overshadow the dress (or the wearer) but to emphasise the beauty of both, and to draw out, and play on, certain aspects of the design of the dress.

So Wendy and I met up one Sunday afternoon at the very beginning of the whole planning process, which was about two months before the date of the shoot. We talked about styles, fabrics and colours and looked through books of historical and vintage costume. At this point, I had a good idea of the shapes and styles of the dresses she was going to be making.

Wendy then decided on the fabric she was going to use and the specific colours. She posted me swatches of the different fabrics, and I could then begin to think about the colours for my own pieces. I felt I wanted some pieces to be tonal and some to be contrasting. I was also aware that I wanted to design some pieces that would be interesting for photographers to work with. This could be in terms of shape, or scale, or of certain materials.

With all that in mind, I set to work, and over the course of a couple of months designed and made a series of different pieces to go with the six dresses that Wendy had designed for the shoot.

On the day of the shoot itself it was incredibly exciting to see how the contributions from all the different wedding creatives we were working with came together, and in such a seemless manner as well.

So here is a small selection of the images from the shoot. They all show Wendy's elegant 1930s inspired dresses and the jewellery and accessories that I designed for them. They also show the very stylish contributions by all of the other creatives working on the shoot.



Zoë Campbell Photography




Zoë Campbell Photography





Zoë Campbell Photography



I really love this image by Zoe, as the shape of the headpiece echoes the beautiful ornamentation in the Macintosh chairs.



Zoë Campbell Photography




Zoë Campbell Photography





Mack Photography
Mack Photography




Mack Photography



This is one of my favourite images from the whole shoot, as it shows my work at its very best: the lines of the headpiece are beautifully framed, and the delicacy and ethereal quality of the earrings are also very evident.



Struve Photography




Struve Photography



I remember talking to Lindsey on the day of the shoot about how difficult I found it to get good photographs of my Swarovski rhinestone pieces. I was really bowled over when she emailed me this image!



Mack Photography






Struve Photography



Mack Photography




Zoë Campbell Photography





Zoë Campbell Photography





Zoë Campbell Photography




Zoë Campbell Photography





Struve Photography




Struve Photography



I really love this image by Kristin, as it shows the details of my work really clearly: the contrast in colours between the black and the silver; the contrast between the smooth regular lines of the main structure, and the irregular organic ones weaving their way around the structure; the contrast between the crisp, regular facets of the black Swarovski crystals and the irregular, angular ones of the black onyx chips.



Struve Photography




You're most welcome to pop by and try these pieces on, or come and have a chat about your own ideas...just drop me a line!



Email

Email Gioia Mia here



Shoot Contributors


Photography


Make-up Artist

Hair Stylist

Dress Designer-Maker


Jewellery and Accessories


Menswear


Flowers


Stationery

Car

Gramophone


Venue



Models
Emily Morton
Caeley Elcock
Jamie Hillen
Omar Zingaro Bhatia











1 comment: